[SR-Users] Kamailio for sip routing architecture

Loic Chabert chabert.loic.74 at gmail.com
Mon May 23 10:27:53 CEST 2016

Hello Kamailio users,

I'm working on a sip infrastructure, with opensource technologies, and of
course Kamailio will run on my new infrastructure :)

Kamailio will be my central routing engine, between SBC (running on
asterisk), and somes boxes (asterisk too) where customers will be
registred. Please find below my future infrastructure:

----------                       --------------
--------                      ----------------
|-----------------| SIPPHONE |
----------             |         --------------           |
--------                      ----------------

----------             |                                     |
--------
| SBC2 | - - - - - |                                     | - - - - - | CB2

----------             |                                     |
--------
                         |         --------------           |
----------             | - - - -| kamailio2 |- - - - -|            --------
| SBCn |- - - - -  |          --------------          | - - - - - | CBn  |
----------             |                                     |
--------

Kamailio high availabality will be done with loopback address and BGP in
two datacenters. SIP carriers will be connected to SBC and customer to one
CB.

I have made some tests with kamailio, and i use LCR to route call from CB
to SBC, using wheigt and prorities to send call to carriers.
Then, when a call arrived from carriers, i use DNS NATPER lookup to find
the right CB box.

CB HA is done using DNS SRV. So user is registred at one location, and only
one. No location sharing beetwen boxes.

I have some question concerning my architecture, and technologies used to
routing call.
Is LCR is the best option for routing call between multiple carriers ? DNS
NAPTER is a modern solution to find an endpoint on this architecture ?
Existing a better way to route call with kamailio, for exemple rt-json and
curl ?

In my point of view, kamailio should be a routing engine, using internal
technologies, to maximise performances. Less work with kamailio and
external app, best performances in sip routing. Is it the good vision ?

Thanks in advance.