[SR-Users] db_cassandra status and plans

Andreas Granig agranig at sipwise.com
Thu Mar 31 12:17:11 CEST 2016

Hi all,

I was checking db_cassandra with Kamailio 4.3 recently to try making it
work as a usrloc back-end, and my observation is that the module has
quite some issues.

In general, the module states that it's only tested with cassandra
1.0.6, which is really out-dated. I tried with the latest version of the
1.0 series (1.0.12) and even with lots of fiddling I didn't manage to
make it work, could be my fault though. There has not been any work for
4 years other than cosmetical documentation fixes two years ago.

Documentation is missing important information how to set up the version
table, that could be fixed though. The schema definition in the
documentation is missing new columns which have been introduced, that
could be fixed as well.

The module uses the legacy thrift interface, whereas nowadays (since
cassandra 1.2+) a native cql driver is available as open-source.

The module can not be used together with nathelper for nat pings, since
the queries don't provide a key, which is required for cassandra.

Our plan is to revamp the whole module and make it work with recent
cassandra versions and remove the nat ping limitations. Main question is
whether to go for a new module or replacing the old one, since it
doesn't seem to work anymore anyways.

Feedback whether you got it working with Kamailio 4.3+ and your views on
future plans is much appreciated!

Andreas