[SR-Users] Kamailio 5.0 - HTTP loading of config files

Tristan Mahé gled at remote-shell.net
Wed Mar 2 23:22:41 CET 2016

You're dealing with the signalisation, introducing a webapp driven
configuration can lead to some nice timeout/response time issues left to
investigate, or create an additional spof...

Regarding your example of offering a kamailio hosting service, or
dedicated proxies, I would do the absolute opposite, and deal with the
different configurations at the configuration management level ( very
easy to do with Ansible or Chef ) and some kind of orchestration/CD, but
that may be just me making sure that the proxies have a constant
response time, and that they do not add more than 5ms delay on heavy
loads...

I can only see this functionality being useful as a PoC or for extremely
small traffic, or for early beginners but they'll (eventually|probably)
do differently when they learn better Kamailio...

On top of that, with the embedded scripting engines, you can already
code something like that ( do a http request in lua, parse the result
and process or just run the code in result ). Doing that inside scripts
gives also more flexibility on the error handling side, allowing you
custom fallback back-ends, or very short timeout and default actions, ...

My 2 cents...