[SR-Users] How to forward REGISTERs to Asterisk in kamailio with dispatcher module with several Asterisk PBXs?

Tickling Contest tickling.contest at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 14:53:38 CEST 2016

Hello,

When using Kamailio with the dispatcher module for Asterisk load balancing,
I am offloading REGISTERs to Kamailio (works fine), but would like to
forward the REGISTERs to Asterisk so that outgoing calls from Asterisk will
be possible. I know this is not strictly necessary (e.g., just use Kamailio
to forward everything), but I have a lot of application logic behind my
Asterisk boxes (using ARI) and so I don't want that to break. Thereby, I do
need this information in Asterisk as soon as possible from Kamailio.

Let's say I have three boxes Asterisk_1, Asterisk_2 and Asterisk_3 in the
dispatcher module like so:

1 sip:192.168.1.201:5060;transport=tcp
1 sip:192.168.1.202:5060;transport=tcp
1 sip:192.168.1.203:5060;transport=tcp

My system has endpoints as numerical extensions, from 101 to 110. When a
new endpoint registers with kamailio (and authenticates), I would like to
send the REGISTER to Asterisk. But I have the following questions:

(a) Which Asterisk? I could send it to a round-robinned Asterisk (say,
Asterisk_2), but that Asterisk may not be the one responsible for handling
calls outbound for the endpoint that just registered. Even if I use "hash
over auth username" instead of round-robin (In
http://www.kamailio.org/docs/modules/4.0.x/modules/dispatcher.html#idp16940048,
choose 5 for "alg", for example) that wont solve this problem as an
outbound request may come from another Asterisk box which won't have the
requisite registration information. Should I forward REGISTERs to all
Asterisk boxes? Maybe I won't have to deal with this issue as I use
realtime and so the REGISTER information, sent to one Asterisk box, is
available to all Asterisk boxes after the write to the realtime DB. Is my
understanding correct?

(b) How do I do this in kamailio.cfg? With some examples on the Internet
for WITH_ASTERISK directive, I see that you do

route[REGFWD] {
        if(!is_method("REGISTER"))
        {
                return;
        }
        $var(rip) = $sel(cfg_get.asterisk.bindip);
        $uac_req(method)="REGISTER";
        $uac_req(ruri)="sip:" + $var(rip) + ":" +
$sel(cfg_get.asterisk.bindport) + ";transport=tcp";
        $uac_req(furi)="sip:" + $au + "@" + $var(rip);
        $uac_req(turi)="sip:" + $au + "@" + $var(rip);
        $uac_req(hdrs)="Contact: <sip:" + $au + "@"
                                + $sel(cfg_get.kamailio.bindip)
                                + ":" + $sel(cfg_get.kamailio.bindport) +
">\r\n";
        if($sel(contact.expires) != $null)
                $uac_req(hdrs)= $uac_req(hdrs) + "Expires: " +
$sel(contact.expires) + "\r\n";
        else
                $uac_req(hdrs)= $uac_req(hdrs) + "Expires: " +
$hdr(Expires) + "\r\n";
        uac_req_send();
}

What is the equivalent for when you are using the dispatcher module and the
kamailio.bindip and asterisk.bindip etc. are not set in the configuration,
but instead should be procured from elsewhere?

Any help is appreciated.