[SR-Users] Kamailio + Asterisk MWI Issues

TEG AMJG tegamjg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 01:03:23 CEST 2016

Dear list

I am quite new to Kamailio and i know that probably this thread has been
answered quite few times. But i have few questions

I was able to configure Kamailio + Asterisk MWI with Kamailio handling the
registration of users. The problem is that i am quite sure that is not the
right way.
What i did was just putting "subscribemwi=no" on every user declared on
Asterisk and he will send NOTIFY's when a voicemail has been received for a
particular user to Kamailio and Kamailio will just forward them to the
endpoints (because he knows the location of the users). I know about the
modules presence presence_xml and presence_mwi of Kamailio which will
handle the subscription of users and send NOTIFY's but it is useless since
I am not verifying any NOTIFY that comes from Asterisk, just forwarding.

Now, some others solution are just a bunch of scripts that, for me, it
doesnt make much sense since is the same idea like how i did it just more
hacky and unnecesary, i guess?. This solution can be found here:
http://saevolgo.blogspot.com/2012/07/asterisk-behind-kamailio-voicemail-mwi.html

There is another solution that i found in few threads here which i dont
understand really well, is to send PUBLISH messages from Asterisk to
Kamailio so Kamailio sends NOTIFY's with the event and content about the
amount of voice messages in a particular mailbox. Some say that you need to
create the message PUBLISH and send it with sipsak or another solution in
Asterisk.

For what i see in SIP documentation, the last solution seems a bit less of
a hack lets say, more resilient. With all said, i have a few questions

Is it the solution I made really a bad idea?. I havent take a lot of time
understanding SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY messages, just the basics, i dont know if
there are some security issues i should think about in this particular
flow. Should i check the status of the authorization of the subscription in
Kamailio before forwarding the mesage (if there is a way, how)? or it
really doesnt make sense at all? because after all, my endpoints receives
the NOTIFY and "you have a new voicemail" message appears.

 Now, about the last solution, is there any guide of someone that has done
that in a clean way?, may someone guide me how to construct the PUBLISH
message and when should i send it?, should i create a cron or something?,
this PUBLISH message needs to be send for every user?. may someone guide me
(if this is considered a cleaner way of doing it) how to make this? Many of
the answers in other threads about this are not enough to understand the
idea as a whole, at least for me.

Thank you very much in advance

Alejandro

--