[SR-Users] Kamailio - Asterisk: Handling loss of SIP BYE and dangling channels

Benjamin Fitzgerald ben at letscorp.us
Fri Jan 8 21:25:45 CET 2016

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your quick response.

1. Sorry to be unclear, the Asterisk channel does not stay up indefinitely.
We do have a max timeout but since a large portion of our business is based
on conference calling, the timeout is rather large. I will definitely
change the RTP timeout as my first attempt.

2. Since Asterisk is also a serving as PSTN gateway, I like this because it
allows me to control calls with SIP endpoints separately. We have no issues
with all PSTN calls and I'd like to keep it that way :)

3. I'm not sure this will work in my case because the endpoint is
reachable, but client state is not in sync with the server: i.e.
Kamailio/Asterisk think it's in a call but the endpoint does not. If
sending OPTIONS could tell me if the endpoint thinks it's in a call or not,
then this could potentially work. On a side note, is there a SIP message
that I can send to a client to have it report its state? (Registered, Auth
Failed, In a call, etc.)

4. I do know about SIP Session Timers but chose to not use them during the
initial deployment (because of Asterisk channel timeout which I know
realize is too large). Maybe this will help in conjunction with the above
methods.

Would you mind expanding on endpoint defense? Specifically with mobile
client applications? I agree this would be the ideal solution, I'm just not
sure where to start here.

Benjamin Fitzgerald
LETS Corporation
(925) 235-1154
ben at letscorp.us

*******Confidential Notice:
confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader
strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please
immediately by return e-mail and/or telephone at (925) 566-5600