[SR-Users] Limiting Registration Contacts

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 12:02:14 CET 2016

Hello,

right now the rule is to reject the registrations that exceed the
max_contacts limit. The main reason behind this policy is the
registration mechanism in SIP which requires periodic update/refresh but
also different expires intervals.

In this way it's hard to select the "old device". Can be a desktop phone
registering every hour and stable connection but also a mobile phone
registering every 10 minutes, changing the ip every now and then. By
just relying on the oldest registration, the desktop phone is likely the
candidate to remove most of the time, but keep other invalid mobile
contacts.

The solution would be to use GRUU (or the instance parameter) for
registration contacts. In this way each new registration from a device
will replace its own old contact, even if it has a different contact
address.

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
Kamailio World Conference - May 8-10, 2017 - www.kamailioworld.com