[SR-Users] Familiar topic about Kamailio with Asterisk behind NAT

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Wed Sep 30 11:29:51 CEST 2015

> On 30 Sep 2015, at 11:10, Daniel Tryba <d.tryba at pocos.nl> wrote:
>
> On Wednesday 30 September 2015 10:22:51 Dirk Teurlings - SIGNET B.V. wrote:
>>     CLIENTS <-> (NAT) <-> INTERNET <-> KAMAILIO(4.2.5) with
>> RTPPROXY(v1) <-> PRIVATE LAN <-> ASTERISK (v1.8)
>
>> I'm kind of stuck as to where I need to fix this. I tried using the
>> externaddr option in Asterisk to solve it on that end. But that didn't
>> help anything. The NAT options in Kamailio are not really suited for
>> this, as they tend to fix client NAT problems.
>
> The asterisk doesn't need to know the network topology beyond its connection
> with kamailio, so you need to fix it at the place of traversal between public
> and private: kamailio.

Actually, if you turn on NAT support in Asterisk you should not need RTPproxy between clients and Asterisk. Only if two clients talk with each other without Asterisk RTPproxy is needed in the call. Adding RTPproxy in order to be able to move Asterisk to the private LAN seems like a good way to add latency to the call, which is usually not what you want. If Asterisk needs to be there for other reasons, you will need to check that the internal addresses are not sent out on the other side of Kamailio in the signalling.

/O