[SR-Users] Can following scenario be implemented using Kamilio

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Mar 3 18:18:08 CET 2015

On 03/03/2015 12:08 PM, Jayanth Acharya wrote:

> I am new to Kamilio (and SIP in general), but a quick research tells
> that I've to configure Kamilio to run in the transaction stateful mode,
> which in turn brings down it's performance. Is that correct ?

No, not really. :-)  This is true, strictly speaking, in a purely
formal, computational sense, because maintaining state does entail more
overhead. However, the advice to limit use of transaction-stateful mode
for performance reasons really harks back to a different time in the
evolution of computing hardware. With modern CPUs this difference is not
significant, and Kamailio's internal architecture is still very
performance-oriented.

Moreover, I would say 90%+ of useful uses of Kamailio, such as this one,
require transaction state. There's not much that can be done just by
routing SIP messages ad hoc, based on their content alone. I think the
only real use-case for stateless relay these days is a fire-and-forget
load balancer.

Opinions on this do vary, but regardless, you should not have any
compunctions about using TM. If you look around on the web for example
configs to do anything, virtually all of them use TM -- for a reason.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems LLC