[SR-Users] Regarding RTP in IMS Networks.

Muhammad Shahzad shaheryarkh at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 18:23:27 CET 2015

Not just in IMS but in general media proxies usually expect traffic from
both ends before they start relaying it from one endpoint to another. This
is basically how media proxies get aware of as from where the RTP would
come from and where it is suppose to go.

During the call setup, the media proxy advertises its address to both
caller (by changing SDP in 200 OK) and the callee (by changing SDP in
initial invite), so that they both know where to send RTP to. However on
the other hand, media proxy is NOT aware of actual address from where it
would receive media from (the address in original SDPs which it receives
from caller or callee may have private address or some other NAT issue
associated with them, e.g. symmetric NAT etc.). Therefore, as soon as call
establishes, the media proxy waits for incoming RTP from caller side and
the callee side. When caller sends RTP, media proxy learns the actual
address of caller from where it has received the audio and when callee
sends RTP, media proxy learns the actual address of callee to where it is
suppose to send RTP that it had received from caller and vice versa.

Thank you.