[SR-Users] Kamailio Redundancy Models

Frank Costeira 486busy at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 17:41:49 CET 2015

Hi,

I'm new to Kamailio and I'm trying to understand the architectural options
and levels of redundancy that can be attained with Kamailio.

In my particular scenario I would be using Kamailio as proxy server (no
user registrations) to handle global prefix routing between 3 major
regions; Americas, EMEA, and Aisa-Pacific. The idea would be to create a
pool of Kamailio servers in each region. The pool would consist of two HA
pairs. The HA pairs would be placed in two separate datacenter, and
sessions would be distributed between the datacenter. In the event the
Kamailio server failed it would have a local backup in the datacneter. In
the event a datacenter failed, there would be an alternate datacenter
available in the region.

Can the LCR feature/module share a database, so that each kamailio server
in the region have the same call routing information?

Is there a feature or a way to automate the configuration of several
Kamailio servers, when you want them to have the same routing
logic/configuration. Is there a module, feature or API that would allow
Kamailio to fetch a config, or possibly push the config via an API when the
application is initialized.

What is the best method for establishing a 1:1 back up with Kamailio? If we
use TCP and route-via headers, the SIP session would be pinned through the
active proxy server. Is there away to provide stateful failover so that the
session state is maintained between primary and the backup server?

Any pointers or recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Frank