[SR-Users] Dimension a kamailio server

Pedro Niño nino.pedro at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 02:52:02 CEST 2014

As Alex said, I/O and calls per second (CPS) is Dependant on what type of
design you are using.

As a tip, mysql is good for small to medium sizes, but begin to choke at
1000 of concurrent connections. but in a scalable size like you are
planning, I would recommend to make a design with resilience and high
availability, with mongodb or postgres as db back end.

There are some good examples on internet about enabling multiple kamailio
server with high availability configuration, using heartbeat and some other
scripts.

A nice design would be:

2 or more kamailio servers, maybe virtual or physical, with high
availability configuration (if one goes down, the other takes all the load)

2 or more DB servers, also with high availability design.

At least 10G connection, server and switch (for the call flow you're
expecting) remember to make estimation for calls established, and codec
used, (using g711, rtp audio might come up to 80kbps, so like 120.000 calls
is the top for a 10G connection)

Also separate vlan for calls and server control, too.

Just my 2 cents