[SR-Users] Dimension a kamailio server

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Fri Mar 28 11:41:41 CET 2014

1. Kamailio does not handle RTP, so audio is not a scaling factor at all;

2. The only scaling factors are transactional memory (TM) and any dialog
state you are keeping;

3. Without I/O wait from external sources, Kamailio can handle a
practically infinite amount of concurrent calls and CPS. But, most
practical applications of Kamailio require database backing;

4. Therefore, performance and throughput will depend almost entirely on
the database you are using for database backing, and any tuning on its
settings. This certainly includes the CDRs and storage, and getting the
most performance out of your database is outside the domain of your
question (or this list);

5. A quad-core host with 8 GB of RAM should be more than sufficient for
Kamailio itself to meet your needs. But most of the answers to your
question don't have much to do with Kamailio.

-- Alex