[SR-Users] Reminder: about private emails

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 10:10:46 CET 2014

A message sent almost one year ago, but based on volume of private
emails related to free support on SIP, Kamailio or other applications,
perhaps it is time to refresh, with couple of extra bits for clarification:

   - http://lists.sip-router.org/pipermail/sr-users/2013-April/077700.html

I would like to remind that, at least in my case, writing emails
directly without cc-ing the mailing list is not recommended. The rule is
also suggested in the mailing lists presentation page:

Unless I asked explicitly for a private email with some specific
details, the message will not be noticed and therefore not replied. I
use this email address for many public mailing lists and it is intended
only for that usage, I am reacting based on the filters I created,
unmatched messages getting the lowest priority.

There are several common sense as well as technical reasons. Here are
some along with other suggestions to improve the likeliness of getting
an answer:
- we are not answering questions on mailing lists to help only one
person, but also other people that may have similar issues in the future
-- they can find the answers in the archive with a search engine. Also,
other people subscribed to the list can learn from conversation or
contribute to the discussion, resulting in better outcome
- the amount of unexpected messages is very high -- it is practically a
zero chance to get to the folder with messages that didn't match any
filter (thus your message is not going to be replied)
- whenever I find time, the first emails I answer are those coming on
mailing lists. They are many there as well, people are traveling or
having other personal or business projects, so sometime is good to send
a reminder if a question does not get an answer
- starting with negative approach or no technical content, like you are
going to use something else if you don't get this instantly, or this
application is missing what so ever tutorial giving exactly the solution
you need, or simply asking for full config of complex requirements, is
not helping at all, but actually making people to ignore your messages.
Start with what you tried and where you got stuck. Everything you get is
for free, nobody here owe you anything.

Therefore, if anyone sent me a private message asking about kamailio or
continuing a discussion started on mailing lists, then the messages have
to be resent on mailing list if one wants an answer. A quick look in my
unfiltered folder revealed hundreds of messages during the past year,
soon many will be deleted anyhow. Note that you can always mask
sensitive data (e.g., replace passwords, IP addresses) before sending
logs or config file.

Kamailio World Conference - April 2-4, 2014, Berlin, Germany
http://www.kamailioworld.com