[SR-Users] Bizarre dialog profile tracking behaviour

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Mar 11 15:28:17 CET 2014

Hello,

We've got an issue we've been trying to track for days with 'dialog',
where the dialogs go through the following life cycle:

1. INVITE -->
2. <-- 407 challenge
3. ACK -->
4. INVITE -->
5. <-- 100 Trying
6. <-- 180 Ringing
7. <-- 183 Session Progress
8. <-- 200 OK
9. ACK -->
10. BYE -->
11. <-- 200 OK

Somewhere around steps #6-7 (18x messages), the dialogs no longer appear
to be counted in the dialog profile they're attached to, as gleaned from
'kamctl fifo profile_get_size <profile> <key>'. The dialog count in the
profile falls to 0.

Naturally, I suspected a SIP issue that was preventing the dialog state
from being tracked correctly. However, subsequent investigation revealed
that these very same dialogs are tracked just fine throughout their
entire lifetime. The 'kamctl fifo dlg_list' command shows them to have
the right states at the right times.

So, the dialog itself isn't going away from tracking. Its attachment to
the given profile seems to be the issue.

I can't find any logical explanation for this in the code, nor any
technical reasoning to support this hypothesis. However, that's what
seems to be happening. I'm not sure that this is the issue; it might be
another issue masquerading as having this effect. I'm just trying to
rule possibilities out.

Are there any situations that can cause a dialog that is otherwise being
normally tracked to be dumped from a profile of which it was previously
part?

Thanks!

-- Alex

--