[SR-Users] Rtpengine vs. TURN?

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 11:13:05 CEST 2014

Hello,

On 14/07/14 15:49, Peter Villeneuve wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> Thanks for your input. Since I couldn't decide which one to use, I've
> been experimenting with using both.
> The problem with my mixed approach is that there are too many ICE
> candidates created (I counted 10 in the last logs I looked at for one
> call), real relay candidates (turn), and fake host candidates
> (rtpengine) with different priorities which leads to all kinds of
> problems.
>
> I think I'll stick to TURN since my clients have support for it.
> Still, I'd like to keep using the NAT traversal (or more accurately
> NAT detection) support of Kamailio, but I don't want rtpproxy-ng to
> add any ICE candidates at all. The reason I need some NAT support in
> Kamailio is that although most of my clients support ICE/STUN/TURN,
> others use Jitsi which has no support for these protocols, and I need
> a way to connect to Jitsi clients that register from behind NAT.
>
> What's the best way to do this?

you can keep rtpproxy in kamailio.cfg. If there is a turn server, the
SDP should come with a public IP in sdp and then you don't engage the
rtpproxy -- iirc, the rtpproxy or nathelper module has a test to check
if the media ip in sdp is a private address. you can use that for
deciding to do rtp relaying on server or not.