[SR-Users] Non-authentication setup of Kamailio

Carel Burger carelburger at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 19:10:57 CET 2014

Hi there,

I have never used Kamailio before but want to investigate if if will work
in my scenario before I invest time to learn it.

I am the administrator of a small Wireless ISP. We do not provide SIP
channels to our customers, we rather let them choose a service provider of
their choice. Currently our customers are using two different providers.

Since we are using ADSL with only one static IP we sometimes run into
issues at the providers side with one way audio when our clients make a
call to another client which is using the same service provider. I assume
this is because of NAT. Since the RTP traffic actually leaves our network
and then comes back to the other client the quality of the call is not as
good as phoning a non client from the network.

I want to know if it would be possible to setup Kamailio to keep the
internal network calls traffic from leaving the network, and also allow
free phone calls on our network. To do this we would require the
authentication to take place on the service providers sip server and not on
Kamailio. Kamailio would only do routing of the traffic and not worry about
authentication.

Would this be possible?

Regards,

Carel Burger