[SR-Users] Replacing an ACME Packet Net-Net SBC

Jason Penton jason.penton at smilecoms.com
Fri Feb 28 12:03:57 CET 2014

I'm curious re. your statement about P-CSCF. What does LI and transcoding
have to do with Kamailio? As already mentioned these functions are
available only in B2BUA which Kamailio is *not*. What other issues then did
you have with P-CSCF impl. using Kamailio. Also, how did P-CSCF even get
into this thread?

<sarcasm>BTW, you forgot to mention the awesome price of Acme in your
comparison to other alternatives</sarcasm> ;)

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 11:21 AM, Luis Silva <luisfilsilva at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Melanie,
>
> Now I'm curious about which tests are you mentioning. Also, Acme
> Packet/Oracle as many different SBCs models, which can be selected
> according with the customer's requirements.
> When talking about the infinite number of features I wasn't really
> thinking in H.323. Although, probably there were customers like you a
> couple of years ago that thought they wouldn't need some features and
> regret they didn't pick Acme Packet, after they received new requirements
> on their networks. Acme SBC can also route using any SIP message element.
> Just use an HMR and according with what you want, just add a Route header
> (as simple as that... :) ).
> Regarding traffic shaping, you can also do it based on media-profiles.
> Comparing traffic shaping with Acme Packet DoS protection doesn't make much
> sense. Their DoS is one of the features that made their SBC what it is now,
> the leader worldwide. And do you know what it means? It is tested against
> any tool out there performing attacks (more customers means more testing).
> Can you say the same about the ABC demo?
> One additional thing is that you can for sure say that when deploying a
> Acme Packet SBC you won't have issues interoperate with other vendors. This
> is not marketing material, again this is based on the number of
> customers/deployments that exists worldwide.
> Not to mention real HA (out-of-the-box), simple configuration (yeah, I've
> already implemented an P-CSCF using Kamailio and it was a mess...),
> transcoding, LI, etc.
>
> Hope it helps,
> Luis
>

> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 5:33 PM, Melanie Pietersen <
> melanie.pietersen.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2/27/14 10:29 AM, Luis Silva wrote:
>>
>>> Don't understand how is it possible to compare Kamailio with the Acme
>>> Packet SBC. Just to give an example, the DoS mechanism available on the AP
>>> SBC can't be
>>>  compared with any other solution available on the market. You will also
>>> have HMRs, SIP Routing options out-of-the-box (like time of the day
>>> routing, sip
>>> method based, cost based, traffic classification based, lb, trunk group,
>>> enum,lrt, multistage, route header based, redirect, etc etc) and infinite
>>> number of
>>> features that you will for sure miss if you plan on making that
>>> replacement.
>>>

>> Hi Luis,
>>
>> the acme product seems actually underperforming compared to Wladimir's
>> SBC demo and measured by the technical capabilities I am interested in.
>>
>> What continues to confuse me is the apparent mixture of technical and
>> marketing terms. The infinite number is respectably long but it includes
>>  many features I will not need like H.323 or appear to be marketing. For
>> example it appears that ABC demo can route by any SIP message element,
>> which is clearly superior and necessary, especially in a deployment with
> [...]

*Jason Penton**Senior Manager: Applications and Services**Smile
Communications Pty (Ltd)**Mobile:*+27 (0) 83 283 7000*Skype:*
jason.barry.pentonjason.penton at smilecoms.com <name.surname at smilecoms.com>
www.smilecoms.com

--

This email is subject to the disclaimer of Smile Communications at http://www.smilecoms.com/home/email-disclaimer/ <http://www.smilecoms.com/disclaimer>