[SR-Users] Hello from newbie

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Feb 4 12:06:02 CET 2014

Hi Alex,

On 02/04/2014 04:52 AM, Alex Lake wrote:

> Just trying to get to grips with Kamailio and thought I'd say hello to
> you all...

Thank you, and welcome to the list and the community!

> Not sure if this is of any interest, but I've found it quite hard to get
> into Kamailio compared to (say) Freeswitch. This is not meant as
> criticism at all, but if you're looking to make it easier, I may be able
> to help!

In all fairness, the comparison to something like Freeswitch is a little
unwarranted. Kamailio is commonly assumed by newbies to be a finished
application product, but it's not; it's really something that should be
regarded more as an SDK or a toolkit than as an off-the-shelf piece of
OSS VoIP software.

It has a proxy service core, but it doesn't doesn't do anything
nontrivial out of the box, isn't intended to, and some programming
ability and reference reading is required to make it do what you want.  :-)

> What I'm trying to do is have a SIP load-balancer such that I can have a
> set of Freeswitch servers that can have traffic routed to them on a
> controlled basis, allowing me to point certain accounts at certain
> servers and take individual servers out of service for upgrade etc.
>
> I think this is SIP server redirection. If there was an example of how
> to do it - eg. what files need to be changed, any database entries, etc.
> that would be most useful. Unfortunately, all my Googling/list searching
> so far has only come up with questions that were either badly worded or
> not answered. Happy to turn anything I come up with into a
> beginner-friendly case-study.

This can be (and elsewhere in the industry, often is) done using
redirection, but the easier way is probably just to keep Kamailio in
series--that is, keep the proxy in the signaling path between the caller
and your Freeswitch servers.  If Kamailio is able to maintain all the
state, this lends itself easily to use of the 'dispatcher' module:

    http://kamailio.org/docs/modules/4.1.x/modules/dispatcher.html

... which is designed specifically for load-balancing applications.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems LLC