[SR-Users] Hello from newbie

Alex Lake alex at digitalmail.com
Tue Feb 4 10:52:38 CET 2014

Just trying to get to grips with Kamailio and thought I'd say hello to
you all...

Not sure if this is of any interest, but I've found it quite hard to get
into Kamailio compared to (say) Freeswitch. This is not meant as
criticism at all, but if you're looking to make it easier, I may be able
to help!

Installation was more or less OK, although a couple of slightly blind
alleys and lack of concrete examples of config files.

I believe I have a working server, but where to go next has left me a
little stumped!

What I'm trying to do is have a SIP load-balancer such that I can have a
set of Freeswitch servers that can have traffic routed to them on a
controlled basis, allowing me to point certain accounts at certain
servers and take individual servers out of service for upgrade etc.

I think this is SIP server redirection. If there was an example of how
to do it - eg. what files need to be changed, any database entries, etc.
that would be most useful. Unfortunately, all my Googling/list searching
so far has only come up with questions that were either badly worded or
not answered. Happy to turn anything I come up with into a
beginner-friendly case-study.