[SR-Users] Noob hoping for guidance

john at millican.us john at millican.us
Tue Dec 2 18:32:33 CET 2014

> A first easy hint would be to go out there and get yourself a nice copy of
> ngrep, "ngrep -d eth0 port 5060 -W byline -q " will help you understand
> the
> magic of SIP much easier.
>
> I think you could get yourself upto speed by trying to get one of the many
> example configuration files to work.
>
> I believe there also is a book on Opensips, which is a great help to get
> you started.
>
> ... and enjoy the learning curve :) !

>> > Hello,
>> > I have been googling for a simple (as simple as it can be knowing the
>> > complexity of Kamailio) for a "how to/step bey step/do this dummy"
>> type
>> of
>> > guide to get Kamailio registered with a sip provider I already have,
>> and
>> > register one end point to kamailio that can use that provider.
>> Nothing
>> > fancy or involved just the absolute basics. Does this exist and if so
>> can
>> > you please point me to it?
>> > Thanks,
>> > JohnM
>>
>> Additional info I failed to add:
>> OS is Ubuntu 14.04 server(Trusty tahr)
>> OpenSips 4.x installed and running with MySQL module
>> have an old polycom 501 that is hitting the Kamailio box with register
>> requests as seen by tcpdump:
>> 09:59:28.921267 IP 192.168.1.110.sip > 192.168.1.152.sip: SIP, length:
>> 530
>> 09:59:28.921663 IP 192.168.1.152.sip > 192.168.1.110.sip: SIP, length:
>> 448
>>
>> JohnM

> A first easy hint would be to go out there and get yourself a nice copy of
> ngrep, "ngrep -d eth0 port 5060 -W byline -q " will help you understand
> the
> magic of SIP much easier.
>
> I think you could get yourself upto speed by trying to get one of the many
> example configuration files to work.
>
> I believe there also is a book on Opensips, which is a great help to get
> you started.
>
> ... and enjoy the learning curve :) !

Thanks for the response Davy and yes loving the curve, really. :-) I have
ngrep installed, have used it, seeing phone send register and Kamailio
returnig 401 unauthorized as expected, ran kamctl add 1000 <my password>
still getting 401.
I can find all kinds of examples on how to use asterisk for Voicemail, or
Kamailio as a sip LB, and all sorts of other thing but none that are the
simple basics.  I have worked with Asterisk for a few years but am looking
to branch out so I do have bit of understanding of sip but none of
Kamailio, yet. Still googling for example config that I can make sense of.
 And yes I know this is an example of PEBKAC. ;-)

Thanks again,
JohnM