[SR-Users] rtpengine symmetric RTP behavior

Richard Fuchs rfuchs at sipwise.com
Tue Aug 19 17:49:52 CEST 2014

On 08/11/14 17:04, Narsay, Deep wrote:
> Hello Andreas,
>
> Yes, that's what I had thought, but
>
> I am actually seeing it using two different UDP ports towards Freeswitch
> (send=40036 and recv=40042)
>
> and two more ports towards SIP Client (send=40038, and recv=40040).
>
> I am wondering if there is any setting (or flag at compilation time)
> that will make it symmetric.

It shouldn't do that, unless it gets confused about which party talks to
whom, assuming there's more than two parties involved. The "symmetric"
and "asymmetric" flags actually have a different purpose (with
"symmetric" being the default).

If you experience asymmetric RTP coming from rtpengine, please post the
full rtpengine log from one such call, together with details about the
RTP flows you're seeing.

cheers