[SR-Users] LM_ERR and LM_DBG

Muhammad Shahzad shaheryarkh at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 12:22:09 CEST 2014

See reply inline below,

Thank you.

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 12:08 PM, aawaise <owaisulhaq at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I want to ask some queries regarding logging in kamailio.
>
> 1. First of all if I want to add LM_DBG or LM_ERR in lookup.c file of
> registrar module, where to add the command as on extraction of
> kamailio-3.1.1.zip, I found registrar module files in modules_k folder as
> well as modules_s folder.

[Muhammad]: better use latest version of kamailio, i.e. 1.4.x instead of
older versions. If you insist on using older version them you can use mpath
or loadpath kamailio.cfg to select which module you want to use, i.e SER
module or Kamailio module.  If both are specified in mpath or loadpath then
first one will be used.

http://kamailio.org/dokuwiki/doku.php/core-cookbook:3.1.x#loadpath

2. I was advised to us macros from dprint.h to see LM_DBG and LM_ERR
> statements in log file, how to do so ??

[Muhammad]: the syntax of LM_ERR and LM_DBG is similar to printf, so if you
know how to use standard C method printf, you should understand how these
will work. In case you do not understand printf syntax, i strongly
recommend NOT to touch kamailio's native code (the .c or .h files).

3. Third, will these logs also print in /var/log/messages in debian linux
> along with other kamailio.cfg logs ??

[Muhammad]: Yes, you can see log messages under log facility defined in
kamailio.cfg with "log_facility".

http://kamailio.org/dokuwiki/doku.php/core-cookbook:3.1.x#log_facility

However, do note that logs printed in syslog will depend on log level
defined with "debug" global variable,

http://kamailio.org/dokuwiki/doku.php/core-cookbook:3.1.x#debug

Therefore, if for example, log level is set to L_INFO then logs of type
L_DBG won't print to syslog.

4. What changes should be made in kamailio.cfg to see these logs, i.e log
> level etc ??

[Muhammad]: set "debug" global config variable to appropriate value as
explained above.