[SR-Users] Kamilio and AWS Route 53 latency regions

Wed Oct 16 14:41:32 CEST 2013

Hi Coy!

On 16.10.2013 14:29, Coy Cardwell wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> By "as long as IP connectivity between the outbound proxies and
> registrars is not filtered", what exactly must not be filtered?
> The proxies and their 'local' registrars will be in the same private IP
> cloud.
Then it should be fine.

> Are you implying if a proxy tries to reach a nat-ed registrar in
> another, different, private IP cloud it won't work?

Probably it depends on the NAT and how the cloud is connected to the
Internet and other clouds. But also NATed servers should be fine, if the
NAT does not mangle SIP packets and the proxies are configured to
announce the public IP address.

Thus, hmm, there may be problems depending on your setup. For example:

              Internet (public IP)                  Cloud 1
               1.1.1.2                    outboundproxy 1: 10.0.1.2
               1.1.1.3                    registrar 1:     10.0.1.3

              Internet (public IP)                  Cloud 2
               2.2.2.2                    outboundproxy 2: 10.0.2.2
               2.2.2.3                    registrar 2:     10.0.2.3

If the outboundproxy (OBP) 1 talks to registrar 1, does it us the
internal IP addresses or the public IP addresses? For later, Kamailio
can be simply configured to announce the public IP addresses in all SIP
messages. But if internal traffic uses internal IP addresses, then the
OBP is "virtual" multihomed, and Kamailio must be correctly configured
to announce the private IP address when talking to the registrar, but
using the public IP address when talking to customer in the Internet.

Further, if OBP1 talks to registrar2, then such "virtual" mutlihomed
setups are also needed on the registrar server.

Conclusion: I guess every private cloud has different network techniques
how traffic is routed externally and internally. Thus, the Kamailio
configuration heavily depends on the underlying network (as IP addresses
are put into the SIP messages). But at least Kamailio is very flexible
and up to now I always have solved strange network setups.

regards
Klaus