[SR-Users] Kamailio for Debian blog?

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Mon May 13 12:24:04 CEST 2013

DP> I'd like to write a brief blog about the status of WebRTC in Debian,
DP> with a focus on SIP

DP> I understand Kamailio 4.0.1 is already in unstable, is that recommended
DP> for potential WebSocket users?

The control file used for deb's packaging of 4.0.x does not include the
tls, outbound or websocket modules.

They provide a separate control.tls file one can use locally to compile
and package kamailio with support for those modules.

The issue is openssl.  Evidently kamailio does not support gnutls?

Debian is unable to distribute binaries of kamailio linked to openssl
because openssl's license is not gpl-compatible and kamailio does not
have a linking exception which would permit distribution of such binaries.

To get kamailio's websocket support into debian proper, kamailio needs
either to work with a gpl-compatible tls library (openssl may be the
only one which is not) or it needs to add a linking exception to its
license to permit binary distribution when linked with openssl.

There is a note at:

  http://www.gnome.org/~markmc/openssl-and-the-gpl.html

discussing the issue.

The wikipedia page on openssl mentions wget as an example of a gpl'ed
package with such a linking exception.

This is likely to be an issue for other binary dists, such as fedora.

-JimC