[SR-Users] Kamailio 3.x and Asterisk Realtime Integration plus dispatcher

Barry Flanagan barry at flanagan.ie
Wed May 1 11:02:55 CEST 2013

On 1 May 2013 02:14, Aldo Antignano <aldo at antignano.it> wrote:

> >> In the REGFWD route you send all the registrations to ALL the Asterisks?
> >> If so, why?
>
> > By sending the registration to all the available Asterisk servers then
> they
> > all know  where each SIP client can be located. If a call comes in from
> the
> > PSTN or from a SIP client Kamailio can just be sent it to any of the *
> > servers and it will find the registered client. This will work even with
> > multiple load balancers/dispatchers using DNS SRV.
>
> In this way should be an option to keep registration in Kamailio only,
> let Asterisk do its specific job, and configure Asterisk to accept all
> calls
> coming from Kamailio as authorized calls by its IP?

Yes, that would be as simple as commenting out the route(REGFWD) on
Kamailio and putting a peer entry in Asterisk sip.conf for the Kamailio
server. However, this then requires that Asterisk be set up to send any
calls not known locally to your single Kamailio IP address, which also
makes it more difficult to have multiple kamailio as Asterisk will need to
know on which kamailio instance a particular client is registered. You
could probably do this in Asterisk by querying the kamailio location table
but things get needlessly complicated then.

If Asterisk is simply functioning as a PSTN gateway this would be fine. In
this case you probably want to use the WITH_PSTN rather than WITH_ASTERISK
setting in kamailio.cfg.

> In this scenario Kamailio is mainly acting as a load balancer, topology
> > hider and security/anti-flood front-end to create a scalable and
> redundant
> > Asterisk PBX system. Really depends what you are after.
>
> These are exactly my goals and was trying to understand which is the best
> way to achieve this.
> Any suggestion is welcome, thanks.

As I said, my aim was using Asterisk as a PBX (supporting call queues, BLF,
Device State etc) so I needed the clients registered to Asterisk. Total
registrations for my use case would not exceed 1,000 so having the
registers sent to all asterisk servers made sense. For a large scale system
I would keep registrations off Asterisk completely.

Regards,

-Barry Flanagan