[SR-Users] Kamailio/Asterisk combination + hashed passwords?

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 16:39:51 CEST 2013

On 6/6/13 2:11 PM, Stoyan Mihaylov wrote:
> I use Kamailio for register and Asterisk servers for processing call.
> Asterisk accept all calls from Kamailio and dont know nothing about
> users and their passwords.
> I think this is simplest way for integration and using best from both
> applications.

The way you mention is the approach I use in most of the cases. The
respective tutorial tries to give hints on how to plug Kamailio in front
of an existing Asterisk deployment without disturbing it that much.

> On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 12:05 PM, Daniel Pocock <daniel at pocock.com.au
> <mailto:daniel at pocock.com.au>> wrote:
>

>     I was just looking over:
>
>     http://kb.asipto.com/asterisk:realtime:kamailio-3.3.x-asterisk-10.7.0-astdb
>
>     A couple of things I noticed:
>
>     - Kamailio is using a column sippasswd which is not hashed.  Asterisk
>     doesn't use that column at all.  Is there any reason this can't be
>     done
>     with the H(A1) and H(A1b) columns?  The INSERT example shows a
>     non-encrypted password.
>
>     - Is it all considered valid for Kamailio 4 and Asterisk 11?  (maybe a
>     disclaimer could be added at the top)
>
>     - The Asterisk columns `md5secret' and `secret' are left empty so that
>     Asterisk won't challenge.  I believe there are other ways of doing
>     this:
>     for example, telling Kamailio to be the registrar and forcing Asterisk
>     to use outbound proxy mode.  I managed to make this work against
>     repro -
>     Asterisk no longer receives any REGISTER messages, but all INVITEs go
>     through Asterisk, so the double-challenge problem only arises for
>     INVITEs.  Maybe Asterisk can be told that Kamailio's source IP:port is
>     `trusted' and doesn't need to be challenged - is anybody aware of such
>     an option in Asterisk?

Kamailio Advanced Training, San Francisco, USA - June 24-27, 2013
   * http://asipto.com/u/katu *