[SR-Users] Need help understanding/separating signaling from media

Grant Bagdasarian GB at cm.nl
Mon Jan 28 17:03:53 CET 2013

Hello,

I want to separate signaling and media in our architecture but I'm not entirely sure if the following will work (note that it is still in a design phase and these kinds of constructs are still new to me):

User Agent 1-------------- Kamailio -------------- User Agent 2
          -------------- Media Server Cluster --------------

The signaling will go through Kamailio but the media stream should pass through one of the media servers in the cluster for each call.
Is it possible to achieve this by having Kamailio instruct the media server which ports to open and alter sdp information?
I think that the RTP Proxy module does precisely this, but what I still don't understand is how the rtp stream is passed between these two agents for each call.
Also, is RTP proxy the best way to do this or are there any other third party media servers which I could use? I don't need any fancy functionality, just basic media handling/pass-through.
Regards,
Grant