[SR-Users] uac_replace_from recovery with modified header

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 18:35:01 CET 2013

Hello,

On 1/24/13 5:25 PM, Andreas Granig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 01/24/2013 04:49 PM, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
>> there is no need for an sbc and break the call in two legs and drop my
>> cool extensions I have in my softphone.
>
> What cool extensions would that be? I guess the sems guys would be
> happy to fix it, if it breaks something unexpectedly.

well, see, you just hit your (business) head! Why I should share with
the sems guy the ideas about my cool features? Did
google/twitter/facebook/... had to do disclose anything about their
ideas to apache devs?!?

With proxy architecture/kamailio new extensions just works fine -- it
needs to look at r-uri, route headers and just few other stuff. I can
have anything in other headers and in sdp/body, including new brand
request methods. It is an open innovation environment.

>> The comparison is more like: it's better to have an airplane instead of
>> a car to drive on highway because can be done without wearing safety
>> belt, which is required only for take off, landing and turbulence :-).
>
> An SBC is rather like an airbag. If done right, you don't even
> recognize it and in case of an issue it might save your ass. If done
> wrong, it will blow up in your face while driving 100mph on the highway.
Not quite, airbag is a passive element in the process, it does not help
to drive correct or better. I haven't seen airbags on airplanes (bikes,
fast trains, hoovers or other transportation engines) :-) and they won't
save any*bodypart on real issues there...

The SBC is an anchor in the past, just a pstn element brought to IP to
keep RTC evolution slow, in the hope the telcos will control everything
and milk a bit more cash on allowing and charging voice minutes only.
Their era is pretty much gone, proper RTC platforms will emerge soon
from real IP companies that'll give the freedom to build new services on
top as needed...

As said in the past, I can understand from the business perspective of
"it's what the customer demands", but there is no added value, just more
complexity and another point of failure. Transcoding or other media
services (e.g., ivr) are the roles of voice application servers.

Kamailio World Conference, April 16-17, 2013, Berlin
  - http://conference.kamailio.com -