[SR-Users] Security hygiene for Kamailio

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Wed Dec 18 12:18:58 CET 2013

On 12/18/2013 06:11 AM, davy wrote:

> But I think two aspects might be very handy. A first would be to list
> all the attacks on VoIP networks known to man, and how Kamailio can
> help defending on this, with e.g. config snippets, …
>
> A second which I personally find very interesting, is how we can have
> Kamailio & opensource products in the vicinity, beat commercial SBCs
> at their own game, in terms of features. I do believe this would
> seriously reduce barfights :D

True.  And, although it might have come across that way, I didn't mean
to suggest that there's nothing useful to say on a broad security
overview page.

I am just very wary of telling people that This Is How You Make Kamailio
Secure, when the answer is completely in the details of what you're
doing and how you're doing.  Kamailio, as you know, is a fairly
low-level product, not a finished application.  It somewhat resembles an
SDK with a proxy service core.  So, one can reasonably say that Asterisk
or Freeswitch security consists in these general steps, because these
are endpoints that do more or less one sort of thing, and usually by way
of predictable mechanisms at an implementational level.  With Kamailio,
it's just far less constructive to make that sort of generalisation.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems LLC