[SR-Users] How to thoroughly test a proxy?

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Thu Aug 22 15:13:40 CEST 2013

I do not disagree with any of that, or with testing your flows end-to-end to uncover problems. I just meant that most of your examples were not particularly anchored, conceptually.

The subscribe/notify may be rather more of an exception.

Steve Davies <steve at connection-telecom.com> wrote:
>Hi Alex,
>
>On 22 August 2013 12:46, Alex Balashov <abalashov at evaristesys.com>
>wrote:
>

>> On 08/22/2013 06:25 AM, Steve Davies wrote:
>>
>>  Ordinary outbound and inbound calls
>>> Holding / unholding
>>> "Blind" transfers
>>> "Attended" transfers
>>> mid-call reINVITEs (session timers?)
>>> T.38
>>> Subscriptions
>>>

>> The specificity of almost all of these scenarios lies in the user
>agents
>> that are the endpoints of the call, and not the proxy.
>>
>> So, while they might be useful end-to-end tests of your entire
>service
>> delivery platform, they are broken down according to a taxonomy that
>> differs from the proxy's state machine and functional orientation.
>>

>I do take your point.
>
>So since I correctly handle initial requests and the replies, and can
>handle in-dialog requests and replies, and deal with those hop-by-hop
>requests, I can just relax and be happy?
>
>As you say, my different end-user scenarios boil down to the same
>"elements", but in practice my tests did find a problem with the way my
>Enswitch proxy was handling loose-routed NOTIFYs.
>
>Users are very good at finding odd corner-cases, so it seems helpful to
>consider in advance flows that exercise unusual paths through the proxy
>config.
>
>Regards,
>Steve

Sent from my mobile, and thus lacking in the refinement one might expect from a fully fledged keyboard.

Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems LLC
235 E Ponce de Leon Ave
Suite 106