[SR-Users] How to thoroughly test a proxy?

Steve Davies steve at connection-telecom.com
Thu Aug 22 14:53:59 CEST 2013

Hi Alex,

On 22 August 2013 12:46, Alex Balashov <abalashov at evaristesys.com> wrote:

> On 08/22/2013 06:25 AM, Steve Davies wrote:
>
>  Ordinary outbound and inbound calls
>> Holding / unholding
>> "Blind" transfers
>> "Attended" transfers
>> mid-call reINVITEs (session timers?)
>> T.38
>> Subscriptions
>>

> The specificity of almost all of these scenarios lies in the user agents
> that are the endpoints of the call, and not the proxy.
>
> So, while they might be useful end-to-end tests of your entire service
> delivery platform, they are broken down according to a taxonomy that
> differs from the proxy's state machine and functional orientation.

I do take your point.

So since I correctly handle initial requests and the replies, and can
handle in-dialog requests and replies, and deal with those hop-by-hop
requests, I can just relax and be happy?

As you say, my different end-user scenarios boil down to the same
"elements", but in practice my tests did find a problem with the way my
Enswitch proxy was handling loose-routed NOTIFYs.

Users are very good at finding odd corner-cases, so it seems helpful to
consider in advance flows that exercise unusual paths through the proxy
config.

Regards,
Steve