[SR-Users] Hash Table capacity

Elena-Ramona Modroiu ramona at asipto.com
Mon Aug 19 17:02:04 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 8/19/13 4:05 PM, Alex Balashov wrote:
> According the docs, the hash table is restricted to a maximum size of
> 2^16 (65536) buckets.
it was restricted to 2^14, I just lifted it to positive integer range
2^31 because it is easier to get now systems with plenty of memory -- it
will be in next major release.

> This doesn't mean that the htable can only hold 65k entries, just that
> it's the maximum number of unique buckets. Assuming a theoretically
> ideal distribution where every value has a unique bucket, after 65k
> values, you will get collisions. Collision chains attached to buckets
> are linear lists. After collision chains get deep, performance becomes
> more and more linear.
>
> So, you can put 2m values into the htable. I am not sure that it is
> the optimal use of an htable, however.

With the previous upper limit (2^14) you could get a fair distribution
of about 125 items per slot, which is still fine for linear searching,
provided a modern CPU server.

You can simulate some tests and measure the search performances with
benchmark module.

Regards,
Ramona