[SR-Users] Hash Table capacity

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Aug 19 16:05:41 CEST 2013

According the docs, the hash table is restricted to a maximum size of 2^16 (65536) buckets.

This doesn't mean that the htable can only hold 65k entries, just that it's the maximum number of unique buckets. Assuming a theoretically ideal distribution where every value has a unique bucket, after 65k values, you will get collisions. Collision chains attached to buckets are linear lists. After collision chains get deep, performance becomes more and more linear.

So, you can put 2m values into the htable. I am not sure that it is the optimal use of an htable, however.

Ricardo Martinez <rmartinez at redvoiss.net> wrote:
>Anyone here?
>
>Thanks!
>

>Ricardo.-

Sent from my mobile, and thus lacking in the refinement one might expect from a fully fledged keyboard.

Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems LLC
235 E Ponce de Leon Ave
Suite 106