[SR-Users] kamailio configuration for pass-thru proxy and username rewrite

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Aug 19 12:45:52 CEST 2013

Hi Florian,

Kamailio has limited support for this in the form of the reg facility of
the 'uac' module:

    http://kamailio.org/docs/modules/4.0.x/modules/uac.html#reg-db-url-id

The 'uac' module can register (with authentication) to other gateways on
your behalf.  However, it's not very flexible.

 From a methodological point of view, this is probably not the best
thing to do.  Registration and digest authentication is a feature of
retail-oriented SIP origination/termination providers.  More
intra-industrial, resale-oriented (we might call them "wholesale") SIP
trunking providers usually use trusted IP authentication/authorisation
for endpoints like your proxy, obviating the need for this exercise.
Registration is a feature associated with consumer-level endpoints
(handsets, ATAs, etc.) and dynamic IPs (on residential and
small-business broadband connections).  Many pieces of equipment within
the industry don't support registration, and/or don't support answering
digest challenges.

I recommend that you see if your SIP provider supports IP trust AAA and
incoming routing to you based on static IP destination as well.  If not,
you might consider reselling a different SIP provider.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems LLC