[SR-Users] !!! about private emails

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Apr 29 10:52:38 CEST 2013

29 apr 2013 kl. 10:37 skrev Daniel-Constantin Mierla <miconda at gmail.com>:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to remind that, at least in my case, writing emails directly without cc-ing the mailing list is not recommended. The rule is also suggested in the mailing lists presentation page:

> Unless I asked explicitly for a private email with some specific details, the message will not be noticed and therefore not replied. I use this email address for many public mailing lists and it is intended only for that usage, I am reacting based on the filters I created, unmatched messages getting the lowest priority.
>
> There are several common sense as well as technical reasons. Here are some along with other suggestions to improve the likeliness of getting an answer:
> - we are not answering questions on mailing lists to help only one person, but also other people that may have similar issues in the future -- they can find the answers in the archive with a search engine
> - the amount of unexpected messages is very high -- it is practically a zero chance to get to the folder with messages that didn't match any filter (thus your message is not going to be replied)
> - whenever I find time, the first emails I answer are those coming on mailing lists. There are many there as well, people are traveling or having other personal or business projects, so sometime is good to send a reminder if a question does not get an answer
> - starting with negative approach or no technical content, like you are going to use something else or this application is missing what so ever tutorial giving the solution you need or simply asking for full config of complex requirements, is not helping, making people ignore your messages. Start with what you tried and where you got stuck. Everything you get is for free, nobody here owe you anything.
>
> Therefore, if anyone sent me a private message asking about kamailio or continuing a discussion started on mailing lists, then the messages have to be resent on mailing list if one wants an answer. A quick look in my unfiltered folder revealed hundreds of messages during the past year, soon many will be deleted anyhow. Note that you can always mask sensitive data (e.g., replace passwords, IP addresses) before sending logs or config file.

Just to chime in: These rules apply to many of us active in the Open Source projects. We answer general questions when we have time and help when we
have time - but on the mailing list. It's better for you, since many can answer and reuse the discussion later when googling for answers.
It's also better for the developer who gets to decide when he/she has time  available to assist you. If you have urgent needs for help, then
you need to pay for personal assistance.

Cheers,
/O