[SR-Users] mediaproxy-ng Tutorial

aft aftnix at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 13:52:49 CEST 2013

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 5:50 AM, Richard Fuchs <rfuchs at sipwise.com> wrote:
> On 04/02/13 17:39, aft wrote:
>
>> So the bottom line is i have to include the code in both places.
>>
>> Another thing is i'm assuming you know much about the development of this media
>> relay. So i'm asking, is there any plan for including "repacketization" feature?
>>
>> Its very crucial for our operation, so if there is no plan for it,
>> then i wish to do it
>> myself. Although i know nothing of its codebase, but if active developers help,
>> i think i can do it.
>
> Yes and no. Repacketization isn't a priority for us, but we do have
> definitive plans on supporting other modifications to the RTP packets in
> the near future, most notably bridging between different RTP profiles
> (such as RTP to SRTP). Repacketization would fit in there well. However,
> I can't give a time line for this, and I also can't tell yet if we want
> to support these operations in kernel mode at all. The CPU time required
> might make the additional CPU overhead of passing packets back and forth
> between user space and kernel space negligible. Or it might not, it's
> hard to tell at this point.

Thanks for the reply. I've started reading the code to understand what it does.

We had a software which was "all kernel" to do these modification. Although
That software is not a media relay, rather than it sits right on top
of a existing
media relay to do modifications. That software, also implemented as
kernel module(not
GPLed at this moment), performed well.

> cheers

-aft