[SR-Users] ip address fields

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 21:29:04 CEST 2012

On 10/22/12 9:01 PM, Juha Heinanen wrote:
> Daniel-Constantin Mierla writes:
>
>> many times the management system sits between chair and keyboard :-) ,
>> being able to read/add human representation is really crucial in this
>> case.
> leaving out square brackets, which are not specified in ipv6 address
> rfc, should not be an overwhelming task for any address writer.
Representation with square brackets is defined in a RFC and I see no
real benefits in not supporting it.

I am not sure anymore the reason of the debate here. Saving two optional
bytes which are not allocated if not used in a db varchar field?

Overall the point should be: either binary value for the very compressed
data storage or allow all human-friendly possible variants. Forcing one
specific human friendly format is not an optimized/safe option from any
point of view.

>> All modules should support all variants if they use the ipv6 address
>> parser from core. The functionality related to address checking from
>> permissions module does it for sure, I have no idea if lcr implements
>> custom parser. I think trusted from permissions has an issue, iirc,
>> because the comparison was done via string comparison --not using it I
>> am not sure if anyone change it.
> lcr module uses str2ipv6 from core that does not support embedded
> ipv4 format.  if it is not supported by core, it doesn't make sense to
> support them in tables either.
It is the other way around, the function has to be enhanced, because it
lacks support for a valid format. Again, dealing with ipv6 can happen
when parsing header fields, it is not matter of using in lcr module.

In most of written discussion I recall now, people use square brackets
representation, because it is clear delimitation of the address. I think
a 24/7 first line support sysop that receive some log messages regarding
some DoS attack from [x:y:z:w]:5060 will just copy and paste to ban the
traffic via permissions.

Kamailio Advanced Training, Berlin, Nov 5-8, 2012 - http://asipto.com/u/kat
Kamailio Advanced Training, Miami, USA, Nov 12-14, 2012 - http://asipto.com/u/katu