[SR-Users] rtpproxy delete fails

Juha Heinanen jh at tutpro.com
Fri Oct 19 17:16:55 CEST 2012

Richard Fuchs writes:

> I suppose it could make sense to change mediaproxy's behaviour to ignore
> the to-tag given in the delete message if it hadn't received a lookup
> for that particular branch yet.

richard,

thanks for your reply. that would solve the problem that currently there
is no way to delete rtp session in onreply route when lookup has not
been performed yet, i.e., when 200 ok has not been received.

consider my original test setup where one UAS is behind nat and the
other one is not.  when the one that is behind nat replies with 480 and
the other after that replies with 200 ok, the unused rtp session is left
hanging in the air, i.e., in state where new call is created, but no LS
command has been received.

i have not see in any document description about how long rtp proxy
keeps the call state after it has received US command, but no matching
LS command.  is there a timer that clears those hanging calls once in a
while and sip proxy config writer does not need to care about them.
could the hanging calls offer a DoS attack possibility?

if the change that you propose is made, then consider the setup where
two UAS are both behind nat and one replies with 480. if rtp session of
that leg is deleted without to tag, would it also delete the other rtp
session to which no reply has not arrived yet?

-- juha