[SR-Users] Eavesdropping SRTP sessions

Mino Haluz mino.haluz at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 13:19:36 CET 2012

Ok so what I understand from the document - there are in fact only these
possibilities, how to be sure there is not Mitm.

1) To use ZRTP for media encryption with SIP TLS (in case proxy is
compromised, attacker can not still decrypt ZRTP even though it goes
through the proxy)
2) To use IPSec for media between the clients (can be SIP or SIPS, does not
matter) if media goes directly between clients
3) To use SRTP with other key management (MIKEY, SDES) ?

When using these ways, audio could be decrypted

1) SRTP with SIP (keys are exchanged in SDP, so if they are not encrypted,
SRTP loses its sense)
2) SRTP with SIPs (if the proxy is hacked, SIPs packet are decrypted on
proxy and SDP payload can be seen, and SRTP packets can be decrypted)

Right?