[SR-Users] Shared Call Appearances module

Andrew Mortensen admorten at isc.upenn.edu
Tue Nov 20 23:17:38 CET 2012

On Nov 20, 2012, at 3:43 PM, Ovidiu Sas <osas at voipembedded.com> wrote:

> Hello Andrew,
>
> First of all, thank you for sharing your work.
> I was following this thread and I have a couple of questions.  Why do
> you need to bind to the usrloc module? The subscription itself should
> be sufficient because if a phone will unregister, it will also
> unsubscribe,

Yes, that's good point. However, if the phone goes off-line instead of unregistering, the contact's registration will expire, and no unsubscribe will take place. As I mentioned in my reply to Daniel, I'm most concerned about catching this so I can release any appearances seized by the expired/deleted contact, and notify other members of the group. I'm certainly open to alternatives.

> which leads me to the following question: why not add a
> new dedicated module for call-info presence and reuse the existing
> infrastructure from kamailio for handling subscriptions/presence.  In
> this case, your module should just push PUBLISH events to the presence
> server and the server will automatically send out notifications for
> subscribers that subscribed to call-info events.

We've worked extensively with the existing presence & pua modules, albeit primarily dialog;sla using OpenSIPS behind the proxy. (Thanks, Anca!)

SCA's unusual entanglement with call processing made me hesitate about building on top of the existing presence module. For a first pass, I also felt working with an entirely distinct module gave me more control and transparency during development of a very loosely documented event package, especially as I became more familiar with the available API.

I don't have any objection to revisiting design decisions, of course. I'm sure the module will continue to evolve, and it would be nice to eliminate redundancy if possible.

> Based on your README file, you inspect SIP requests/replies and based
> on the presence of the call-info header, you create call-info events.
> This is great for sharing the appearances between phones, but how do
> you perform the retrieval of a call that was put on hold?  Are you
> using a dedicated B2BUA behind kamailio?

No B2BUAs are involved.

The INVITE retrieving a call held by another member of an SCA group has a particular set of characteristics: RURI, To and From URIs are all the SCA AoR; new unconfirmed dialog (no to-tag); and a Call-Info header referring to the index of the held call. The module detects this type of INVITE, looks up the dialog associated with the information in the Call-Info header, and injects a Replaces header with the dialog of the held call before relaying it to the remote party. The remote party must support RFC3891. I've only worked with Polycoms and Cisco gateways to this point, and both do support that RFC.

I'm very interested in hearing from users with Cisco (and Snom and Aastra?) SCA setups. I have no doubt they'll find bugs resulting from assumptions I've made in the code because I've only tested with Polycom, not least the dependency on RFC3891 support.

Thanks for your feedback!

Best,
andrew