[SR-Users] Kamailio + Asterisk, what happens when limit for gateway is reached

Sasa Vilic sasavilic at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 10:00:53 CET 2012

Hello,

I have read here about load balancing between multiple gateways by using
carrierroute module, but there is one particular question for which I
found no answer.

Let's say I have two asterisk servers (X und Y), that are my gateways to
PSTN. Let we do it simple. Let's say that each gateway supports only one
outgoing call at the time and there is no incoming calls from PSTN. Now:

Bob calls one number and Kamailio uses X gateway.
Alice calls other number and Kamailio uses Y gateway.
Alice terminates the call.
Alice place a new call, but Bob's call is still in progress.
If we were used round robin algorithm, Kamailio would then use X
gateway, but X gateway is currently occupied. What shell happen now?
And what if Alice didn't tear down call ordinary? What if it her SIP
client simply crashed? (Then kamailio would think that there is now free
gateway)

So the main question is: can kamailio know/detect, how much calls are
going over one particular gateway and what can be done when limit for
this gateway is reached?

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards,
Sasa Vilic