[SR-Users] Registration replication

Spencer Thomason spencer at 5ninesolutions.com
Sat Feb 18 05:11:03 CET 2012

Hello,
I'm currently working on a HA setup with geographically separated proxies.
Each proxy is in a different data center with an MPLS link between them.
The proxies access a locally connected PostgreSQL database that is
replicated from a master in the primary data center.  Note that the
replicated dbs are read only. Everything works great for read only queries
but registrations seem to pose a problem as they must use the primary db
directly to deal with the writes.  If I set userloc to db mode 2 the
secondary proxies wipe out the entries in the database.   If I use db mode 3
everything works great but all of the secondary proxies must use the primary
database directly and a network link failure will cause a service
disruption.  Is there any way I can use separate read and write databases
without p_userloc?  Is there a better way to replicate registrations
maintaining availability and scalability?  And advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Spencer

Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless