[SR-Users] finally, an open alternative to Viber

Daniel - Lumicall.org daniel at lumicall.org
Wed Feb 8 21:02:13 CET 2012

> congratulations, glad to see you get it out, quite quickly after meeting
> at Fosdem!

Good thing I chose Kamailio - I only installed the server the weekend
before FOSDEM (although I have prior experience with SER)

The STUN/TURN server I'm using with Kamailio is reTurn from reSIProcate

> Another thing which is a plus IMO, enforcing TLS to federate (at least
> with sip5060.net), the right way to do it without the burden of mutual
> peering agreements. I was wondering if cacert.org is trusted CA for the
> service -- they provide free certificates, in a community trusted
> fashion. Cacert was also at Fosdem, signing certificates and identifying
> people wanting certificates. It is a convenient CA for many people in
> the open source world.

I put up the web pages quite quickly on Saturday morning, so they are
very basic right now - I'm going to expand on that, maybe add in some
sample configs or links to your own samples to get people started

Every Asterisk server out there is configured differently, for example,
so I think we need to start showing patterns for this stuff or federated
use will never happen.  I actually believe people can simultaneously
deploy SIP and XMPP like this, because they require similar
certificates, similar DNS entries, identical usernames, etc.

> Thanks also for suggesting Kamailio for TLS interconnect.

Thanks for providing a good open TLS implementation - this was a
critical element of the Lumicall architecture, not just for federation,
but also for end-users: I suspect some users will find their mobile
phone company blocking regular SIP packets, others will have their
router trying to mangle the SDP, so I enable TLS by default