[SR-Users] status of kamailio stun server?

Peter Dunkley peter.dunkley at crocodile-rcs.com
Sat Dec 15 21:04:07 CET 2012

Hi Juha,

The STUN in outbound is a limited subset of STUN (Binding Request, Binding
Response, and Binding Error Response, with no attributes except
XOR-MAPPED-ADDRESS).  This is described in RFC 5626 section 8.  I am not
expert in STUN, but as the attributes for authentication are not used for
STUN in SIP outbound, I don't think there is a multi-domain problem.

I believe this subset of requests and responses is small enough that the
current Kamailio STUN implementation should be adequate.  I suspect that
the correct thing is to have STUN enabled in Kamailio for SIP use with
clients that support outbound, and a completely separate STUN server that
supports the full protocol for use with ICE.

I did some experimentation with http://turnserver.sourceforge.net/
recently for ICE/WebRTC testing, and this seems promissing.

Regards,

Peter

>> I haven't done any testing of it, but supporting STUN on the same port
>> as SIP is a requirement for an edge proxy supporting outbound.  So I
>> don't think it should be obsoleted or removed.
>
> peter,
>
> my understanding is that stun server as specified in ice rfc 5245
> authenticates its clients, but there does not seem to be any possibility
> for the server to know the realm of the connecting client, which mean
> that a single realm must be configured in the stun server.
>
> if that is true, it is not possible that a single stun server serves
> more than one domain at the same port.  so does what you write in above
> mean that in multi-domain sip proxy setup, kamailio must be configured
> to listen at different ports for different domains (which in my opinion
> is not realistic).
>
> -- juha

Peter Dunkley
Technical Director