[SR-Users] Kamailio and Ubuntu Upstart script

Moacir Ferreira moacirferreira at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 10 21:52:25 CET 2012

As I posted here before, Ubuntu has moved to Upstart as the main
engine to start daemons. As a result, Kamailio will fail to start on boot time because
it starts before MySQL that has already been moved to the new Upstart daemon
starting fashion. I am struggling to get some help from the Ubuntu community
explaining how we can match the previous init script behavior when using
Upstart but I got no success till now. Anyway, I have created an Upstart script
for Kamailio that does most everything that the old script use to do. However,
in this script I am making sure MySQL starts before Kamailio. If you have another SQL engine
you must change the script to match your SQL engine by changing the “start on
started” statement on the script. To use it you have to: A – Create a kamailio.conf file at “/etc/init/” with the
contents of the kamailio.conf script in attach, that is the new Upstart stile
init script. Please notice that I just adapted the existing script, no news… B – Create a symbolic link at /etc/init.d/ pointing to this
kamailio.conf at /etc/init/. C – If you want, you can still have a /etc/default/kamailio
file like it used to be and the script will behave like it used to behave when using
the default file. Hopefully someone more “influent” at the Ubuntu community
may get some help on how to adapt their “start on started” Upstart stanza to
behave like we need for multiple possible SQL engines. Cheers! Moacir