[SR-Users] Dispatcher Confusion Redeux

Asgaroth 00asgaroth00 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 22:47:46 CEST 2011

Hi All,

I'd like to clear something up with the diapatcher module and it's
probing parameters:

First things first:

./kamailio -V
version: kamailio 3.1.5 (i386/linux) 76fff5
flags: STATS: Off, USE_IPV6, USE_TCP, USE_TLS, TLS_HOOKS, USE_RAW_SOCKS,
DISABLE_NAGLE, USE_MCAST, DNS_IP_HACK, SHM_MEM, SHM_MMAP, PKG_MALLOC,
DBG_QM_MALLOC, USE_FUTEX, FAST_LOCK-ADAPTIVE_WAIT, USE_DNS_CACHE,
USE_DNS_FAILOVER, USE_NAPTR, USE_DST_BLACKLIST, HAVE_RESOLV_RES
ADAPTIVE_WAIT_LOOPS=1024, MAX_RECV_BUFFER_SIZE 262144, MAX_LISTEN 16,
MAX_URI_SIZE 1024, BUF_SIZE 65535, PKG_SIZE 4MB
poll method support: poll, epoll_lt, epoll_et, sigio_rt, select.
id: 76fff5
compiled on 16:21:02 Oct 19 2011 with gcc 4.1.2

I think I am suffering from the same confusion as Klaus in the following
archive message:

http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/jZFTG61DlcEr9LJbS8Gq

I have the following parameters set for the dispatcher module:

modparam("dispatcher", "ds_ping_interval", 10)
modparam("dispatcher", "ds_probing_threshhold", 1)
modparam("dispatcher", "ds_probing_mode", 0)

When I first start kamailio all gateways are active, no probing occurs.
If I then set a gateway inactive (ds_set_state i 1 sip:...), no probing
occurs.
If I then set same gateway active (ds_set_state a 1 sip:...), no probing
occurs.
If I mark same gateway as probing (ds_mark_dst("p") after 1 attempt as
specified in module parameter), then probing starts.
If I then set same gateway inactive (ds_set_state i 1 sip:...) probing
still occurs.

According to the docs if I set the state of a gateway to inactive then
no probing should occur. From my understanding of the docs, if I set
ds_probing_mode to 0 then only gateways marked as probing will be "pinged".

Can someone with more experienced than myself please clarify how this
method is supposed to work.

Thanks