[SR-Users] Trouble Setting up Kamailio

Timo Reimann timo.reimann at 1und1.de
Tue Oct 4 11:17:19 CEST 2011

Hey Peter,

On 01.10.2011 23:23, Peter Schrock wrote:
> I am using the site:
> http://www.kamailio.org/dokuwiki/doku.php/install:kamailio-3.1.x-from-git
> to load up Kamailio on my ppc using Leopard X. I managed to figure out
> the mysql issue and got it to install, but now there are some variances
> to the instruction from the stated install site and I am kind of lost.
> If I could get some help with the following
>
> - "7. Create MySQL database"
>    This whole section seems confusing. It doesn't say what I am suppose
> to look for. I am sure what it says is all you need to do,
>    but I am not sure if it is completed correctly or not.

The order of what things need to be done may have been confusing, I just
changed that in the wiki. First, you need to change the config file to
your DB engine needs; then, you run the script to create the database.
Please take a look at the section again and tell me if there are still
things left which make the section hard to understand.

> - "8. Edit configuration file"
>    This section could use more specific information as to how to set up
> the configuration file.
> - "9. The init.d script"
>    This section says I am suppose to put "/kamailio.init/" in the
> directory "//etc/init.d/",
>    then I am suppose chmod after it is copied. First of, I don't have
> that directory,
>    am I suppose to create it or is it suppose to be created already?
>    Also, it says to "/adduser/" with some options. Every time I try, I
> get the error message
>    that it doesn't recognize the "/adduser/" command.

The points you have mentioned are all Linux-/Unix-specific and probably
cannot be transferred easily to the Mac-kind-of-Unix.

Let me ask you this: What are you trying to achieve exactly? Do you want
to just give Kamailio a try and play around with it? Or do you intend to
run it productively on a Mac, possibly a server? If the former is the
case, you don't really need to set up the init daemon script or add a
specific user. In fact, you don't require MySQL either as Kamailio can
run from memory alone. When it comes to just giving things a try, I
suggest that as it saves you a lot of setup work.

If the latter is the case though, you'll need to figure out how to set
up a Unix-like service properly under a Mac (or wait and hope for
someone else to reply on the mailing list). I suppose there aren't too
many folks out there running Kamailio on a Mac server (why would anyone
run a Mac server anyway? ;) ), so you may be on your own.

Cheers,

--Timo