[SR-Users] [OT] IETF SIMPLE WG will destroy MSRP with the new draft-ietf-simple-msrp-sessmatch-11

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Thu May 26 11:44:17 CEST 2011

On 5/25/11 9:33 PM, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
> [...]
>
> PS. Guys, before implementing SIP-related RFC N, where N is greater
> than 4000, wait until RFC N+3000 is published to see if there will be
> one obsoleting it. If not, you may be safe investing time in it.
on the other hand, I think MSRP didn't bring much value, just another
type of stream out of signaling channel. I am not that familiar with
MSRP to know really if there are real benefits, but sending instant
messaging over SIP was there from beginning and rather simple without
other components that introduce new points of failure.

Reducing the number of optional headers will make the messages also
quite small. As for path optimization, initial request creating the
dialog could get only record-routes from the SIP hops that are intended
to stay in the path (like the relay).

For file transfer,  clunking the content and sending over several
requests (again with minimum number of headers) with proper cseq
incrementation will be a straightforward implementation.

SIP can be used in very simple ways, without new types of protocols and
communication channels...

--
Daniel-Constantin Mierla
http://www.asipto.com