[SR-Users] geoip problem, finally solved

Henning Westerholt Henning.Westerholt at 1und1.de
Thu May 12 11:08:35 CEST 2011

Francesco wrote:
> I found some problems using the geoip module. My system is a debian
> squeeze x86_64; and I installed the following packages:
> ii  geoip-database                                1.4.7~beta6+dfsg-1
> GeoIP library (country database)

Hello Francesco,

> Using /usr/share/GeoIP/GeoIP.dat as database, the geoip_match("$si",
> "src") function failed with retcode -2 (NULL from
> GeoIP_record_by_name()). And finally I found the problem with the
> GeoIP file DB itself. In particular, compiling a mini program for
> debug, it said:
>
> Invalid database type GeoIP Country Edition, expected GeoIP City Edition, Rev 1
>
> After manually downloading the GeoLiteCity.dat from MaxMind.com
> everything went fine.

so this means the database that is installed as debian dependency is not correct?
It seems that in sid there is another package available
http://packages.debian.org/de/sid/geoip-database-contrib - is this the correct one?

As this seems to be not available for squeeze, what about just documenting this
in the module README? Can you give me a bit more details, maybe the download
URL - then i can add it to the docs.

Regards,

Henning